Do you have some 85% chocolate you’d like to use in a brownie recipe? Any chocolate between 80 and 90% will do! These 85% chocolate brownies are delicious!
If you’ve been following this blog from the beginning, you’ll know that it used to be called “The Perfect Brownie.” This week, I renamed it to avoid future trademark conflicts. I’m actually happy about the renaming, and I hope you like the new name, too. You can be sure that there will still be plenty of brownie recipes as I continue my search for the perfect brownie- not to mention other perfect recipes!
In most of my recipes for brownies, I’ve used cocoa powder or unsweetened chocolate, but today I used an 85% single origin Colombian chocolate bar. Why? There were a couple of reasons.
- I wanted to know how different percentages of chocolate behave in a brownie recipe.
- I had a bar of 85% chocolate in the pantry, and I don’t really eat 85% chocolate straight. I find it a bit too strong and bitter.
Before melting this chocolate and adding it to the batter, I had a quick taste. This particular bar was a bit more harsh than the average high-percentage dark chocolate, yet had a strongly creamy flavor as well. That didn’t make a lot of sense until I looked at the ingredient list, which included vanilla. A hefty dose of vanilla would definitely explain the taste of cream. It was almost as if a little extra vanilla had been included to try and smooth out the harsh flavor of the chocolate.
I was pleased to see that these brownies had the sought-after crinkly crust that shatters at the slightest touch. I’m beginning to think that this is a function of both the mixing method and the amount of superfine sugar (from chocolate bars, but also found in brownie mix) present in the batter. More experiments will be needed. But, hey, if I cracked the secret of chewy brownies, I can crack this secret, too!
In the mean time, I hope you enjoy these brownies. They’re a bit sticky, very chewy, and quite sweet. They remind me quite a lot of these Milk Chocolate Brownies, except with a darker chocolate flavor. You can use any chocolate between 80-90% for this recipe and it should turn out fine.
85% Chocolate Brownies Recipe
- 3.5 oz 85% chocolate broken or chopped in pieces (any percentage between 80% and 90% will work)
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 and prepare an 8 inch square pan by lining it with parchment paper or foil.
- In a microwaveable bowl, microwave the chocolate on 50% power in 30 second bursts, stirring in between, until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth. Set aside to cool until warm but not hot to the touch.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter, sugar, vanilla, and salt until well combined. Whisk in the eggs one at a time.
- Stir in the melted and cooled chocolate. Add the flour and stir until just combined. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with moist crumbs but no wet batter. Place pan on a rack to cool for 15 minutes, then use the foil or parchment to lift out the brownies. Place them on the rack to cool completely.