This post has some links for affiliate shopping that help support this site.
Tuna Cakes Italian Style with Just Four Ingredients
Crispy snacks for dinner parties are always a hit, and these delightful tuna cakes will be no exception. I’m using Bumble Bee® Albacore in today’s recipe because the firm texture, light color, and fresh taste is perfect for tuna cakes.
This tuna cake recipe was inspired by my mother-in-law, whose family recipe for tuna cakes (using saltine crackers) has been famous around here for many years. I’ve updated my to use breadcrumbs for extra flavor and an extra egg for firmness.
And of course, since I’m always trying to keep my recipes as short and simple as possible, this tuna cake recipe has only four ingredients. You can knock these out in just minutes!
It helps to have a good nonstick pan when you make these. I always buy a nonstick pan that’s dishwasher safe, affordable, PFOA free, and has a handle that stays cool. I have this Ecolution Artistry Non-Stick Pan, so I can vouch for it being an excellent choice that won’t break the bank.
There are several ways to serve these tasty tuna cakes. For the grown-ups, I recommend a little alfredo or Mornay sauce for luxurious dipping. For the younger crowd, you can have a bottle of ketchup handy.
They make an excellent first course or bar snack while dinner’s cooking, or if you make enough of them, you can serve them as a main course. It’s a great way to get in some lean protein, healthy fat, plus vitamins and minerals.
See that firm and flaky tuna texture? That’s why Bumble Bee® Solid White Albacore Tuna works so well in tuna cakes.
- If you preheat the oil in the pan, you can cook at a lower temperature and get more even browning.
- Because of the seasoned breadcrumbs in this recipe, you don’t need to add salt. If you’re a pepper lover, feel free to add a few grinds of pepper if desired.
- Have your plate lined with paper towels ready before you start cooking. You don’t want to have to scramble for it while the tuna cakes are in the pan.
Tuna Cakes with Just Four Ingredients!
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs divided
- Canola oil
- 2 ounce five cans of Bumble Bee® Solid White Albacore drained
- 2 large eggs
- Place 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl and set aside. Line a large platter with some paper towels and set aside.
- In a large skillet, pour in enough canola oil to cover the bottom to a depth of 1/4 inch. Preheat the skillet on medium heat while you get the tuna cakes ready to cook.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the tuna and the eggs. Stir vigorously until tuna is well coated with eggs and evenly sized. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs and stir vigorously again until the mixture is well combined and moist.
- Scoop a small amount into your hand and gently shape into a patty. Place the patty in the bowl of breadcrumbs, then flip to coat the other side. Slip the patty into the oil. Continue to make patties and place them in the skillet until you run out of space.
- Check the first patties you put in the skillet. When they are nicely golden brown, flip them and continue cooking for another minute or two until both sides are evenly colored. Remove from skillet and place on the paper towel-covered platter.
- Continue to make tuna cake patties from the mixture until you've used it up. Serve tuna cakes immediately.
Discover for yourself why Only Bumble Bee Albacore Will Do™.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.