This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #NestleHolidayBaking #CollectiveBias
Whole Wheat Pumpkin Muffins
It’s officially the holiday season! We’re past Halloween and zipping merrily into November, with its connotations of fall, pumpkins, and all things spiced.
Once the weather gets colder (which takes a while here in Florida), I’m ready to break out the baking pans. I get more baking done in November and December than I do in the entire rest of year, I think.
Today’s baking treat is whole wheat pumpkin muffins. Now, before you go running off at the mention of whole wheat, hear me out.
I, too, am a lover of all things decadent, like butter, sugar, and other good things. However, I love to work with whole wheat flour when I’m baking. If used properly, it adds a moist, nutty flavor that can’t be equaled by white flour.
Pumpkin and spice combines wonderfully with whole wheat. The flavors complement each other remarkably well, so these whole wheat pumpkin muffins should definitely take their rightful place in your holiday baking rotation.
I used LIBBY’S® 100% Pure Pumpkin in the 15 ounce can, which I picked up at my local Walmart. I like using this particular pumpkin because it’s made right here in the USA from Dickinson pumpkins. Plus, pumpkin is considered a superfood because it’s so high in Vitamin A, beta-carotene, and fiber.
There’s quite a variety of NESTLÉ® baking ingredients at Walmart, including NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Pumpkin Spice Morsels and NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk, 15oz, which I picked up for future baking projects.
The NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Pumpkin Spice Morsels are kind of like white chocolate that tastes like pumpkin pie, and would be a novel addition to cookies. The NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk, 15oz, can be used in all kinds of fall recipes, most especially pumpkin pie! For recipe inspiration, check out NESTLÉ® Very Best Baking.
Whole Wheat Pumpkin Muffins
These whole wheat pumpkin muffins are so tasty that no one will notice that you used whole wheat. Easy to make, keeps well, and tastes delicious!
- 7 1/2 ounces pureed pumpkin half of a 15 ounce can
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder heaping
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons butter melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the pumpkin, sugars, and salt until well combined.
- Add in the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, butter, and eggs, then stir together until just combined. Don't overmix. Fill the paper cups about 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Let the pan cool on a rack for 10 minutes, then remove the muffins from the pan and place them on a rack to finish cooling.
How do you like your pumpkin muffins?
Check out the Flavorful Moments board for more holiday baking ideas!