You’ll love this easy chili that cooks up quickly and tastes wonderful! Add a few garnishes like cheese, sour cream, and cilantro, and you’ll be in heaven!
Back when I was a school teacher, there were a number of kids who believed that the teachers all slept at the school. They couldn’t wrap their minds around the fact that teachers went home, or went to the grocery store, or really that they did anything but grade papers and sharpen pencils all night long while waiting for their students to return.
Similarly, there may be one or two of you who think that I live on a diet comprised solely of brownies. Crumbled leftover brownies for cereal, perhaps, and a cream-cheese filled brownie sandwich for lunch, followed by a nice slab of brownie steak for dinner.
I’m just kidding. I know you don’t think I just eat brownies. (Right?)
So every once in a while, I’ll take a little detour away from brownies to show you how to make some of my favorite meals. (After all, woman cannot live by brownies alone.) This hearty chili with beef recipe is a favorite for several reasons.
- It’s extremely fast and easy.
- It’s very filling, yet quite good for you.
And the best reason of all:
- Spicy food always leaves me craving sweets. (Brownie time!)
This recipe is part of the #WeekdaySupper event, in which bloggers from the #SundaySupper Movement post quick and easy meals that are well suited for weeknight cooking. I’ve adapted it from a recipe originally featured in a Publix grocery store sale flyer, but I’ve changed it up a bit to suit my tastes. If you have leftover chili, use it in these Loaded Chili Cheese Potato Parfaits.
Don’t forget to check out all the other #WeekdaySupper dishes this week! The links are located below this recipe. Enjoy!
Hearty Chili with Beef, Beans, and Roasted Red Peppers
- 24 oz roasted red peppers from a jar, drained and chopped
- 15 oz black beans from a can, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/4 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 16 oz chili beans canned
- 10 oz diced tomatoes with chiles canned
- 16 oz tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup chopped olives
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Sour cream
- Fresh cilantro chopped
- Shredded cheese such as Mexican blend, cheddar, or Monterey Jack
- Prepare the roasted red peppers by draining and chopping. Prepare the black beans by draining and rinsing.
- On the stovetop, preheat a large pot to medium heat. When heated, add the ground beef and cook, stirring to break it into crumbles. Cook the beef, stirring as needed, until it is no longer pink.
- Add the chili powder and the black pepper to the cooked ground beef and stir.
- Add the roasted red peppers, black beans, chili beans, diced tomatoes with chiles, chopped olives, and tomato sauce, and stir.
- Sprinkle the sugar into the pot and stir it in. Continue to heat the chili until it is slightly steaming, then reduce heat to low and allow it to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot in bowls.
Don’t miss these #WeekdaySupper meals!
Monday – Vodka Cream Pasta by MealDiva
Tuesday – Bacon Cheddar Potato Pancakes with Dijon Maple Syrup by Nik Snacks
Wednesday – Vegetable Mac N Cheese Casserole by Momma’s Meals
Friday – Kimchi & Sausage Pancakes by kimchi MOM