This flavorful rigatoni calabrese pasta dish is made with rigatoni pasta, mushrooms, sausage, escarole, olives, and tomatoes. Simple and delicious!
Rigatoni Calabrese Recipe
My husband and I have been to a certain Italian restaurant which overlooks the lake at Disney Springs for many years, through several changes of name. Whether it was called Portobello Yacht Club or Portobello Italian Trattoria, we returned time and again for Italian cuisine in a relaxed setting that nonetheless maintained an air of easygoing elegance. My husband loved the Rigatoni Calabrese so much that I requested the recipe and shared it here for all to enjoy.
Time marches on, and with time comes change. Our favorite Italian spot has transformed once more to become Terralina Crafted Italian, themed after the cuisine and decor of Italy’s Lake District.
In addition to the changes at the restaurant, I’ve changed too: after many long months of unexplained illness, I was finally diagnosed as gluten intolerant last year. At first, I worried. How would I enjoy Italian food? How would I order old favorites like the Rigatoni Calabrese, a long-time menu item that made it through to the new menu for Terralina Crafted Italian?
Luckily, it turned out that I was in good hands when we ventured out in the rain to visit Terralina Crafted Italian. Chef Justin Plank swapped out the standard rigatoni pasta for certified gluten free rotini from Banza.
You can get the full details of our visit here, including gluten free menu modifications. Be sure to try this Rigatoni Calabrese recipe (gluten free or not), and make plans to enjoy the original at Terralina Crafted Italian the next time you’re at Disney Springs!
Rigatoni Calabrese Recipe
- 1 pound rigatoni pasta or substitute an equal amount of gluten free pasta
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives pits removed
- 2 cups escarole
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Cook pasta in at least 1 gallon of salted water until just under done.
- Prepare sauce while pasta cooks (about 10 minutes)
- In a very large skillet, sauté sausage with olive oil until brown.
- Add mushrooms and cook for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Add tomato, escarole and olives and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add butter and season with salt and pepper.
- When pasta is slightly under done, add to sauce.
- Stir and cook briefly until pasta is done and the dish comes together.
- Serve in 4 pasta bowls or on a platter for family style.
To make this recipe gluten free, substitute gluten free pasta as directed, and double check all ingredient labels for safety.