Apple bread pudding has gone upside down! You’ll love this awesome and easy bread pudding recipe. Try not to eat it all at one sitting.
Apple Bread Pudding
I don’t know about you, but despite my best efforts to work clean when I’m baking, a splish and a splash of batter or liquid of some kind is inevitable. This is especially true for messy recipes like bread pudding, which involve a great deal of custard and a whole lot of dunking, mixing, and scooping. I am so proud of the results of this apple bread pudding recipe that sometimes I forget just how drippy the process can be.
That’s why I’m glad to have a good stock of paper towels on hand to wipe up. Viva® Vantage® Big Roll Paper Towels are a baker’s secret weapon for getting the kitchen back to a state of clean. I picked up a package of Viva® Vantage® Big Roll Paper Towels in the paper goods aisle at Walmart. Viva® Vantage® has several features that make them perfect for cleaning up during and after food prep:
- You can choose a size of towel to fit your needs.
- The Viva® Vantage® texture is nice and scrubby, to thoroughly clean up even the biggest mess.
- Viva® paper towels have a cloth-like texture that is sturdy and holds up wet or dry.
Plus, while you’re at Walmart, you can stock up on Cottonelle, Scott, Viva, and Kleenex products with a great coupon from the Ibotta app. With the Ibotta app, you get $1 off Cottonelle 12-ct or larger, $1 off Scott 12-ct or larger, $1 off Viva 6-ct or larger, and if you buy two products, you get an extra dollar back!
Now, when you, too, drip apple bread pudding custard all over your kitchen counters, you’ll be prepared.
Tips for Making Apple Bread Pudding
- All bread puddings are essentially custards poured over bread. Because they’re custards, you’ll want to cook them gently. Don’t turn up the oven temperature to try to hurry them up.
- This apple bread pudding is designed to work like an upside down cake. You put the fruit on the bottom, then when the apple bread pudding is done, you flip it over and remove the pan so the fruit is on top.
- Feel free to add a shot of your favorite liquor to the custard before mixing it with the bread. My favorites for bread pudding are rum, brandy, and cognac.
Upside Down Apple Bread Pudding
Apple bread pudding has gone upside down! You'll love this awesome and easy bread pudding recipe. Try not to eat it all at one sitting.
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar divided
- 1 medium baking apple I use Pink Lady or Honeycrisp
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 large eggs
- 8 ounces bread I used soft dinner rolls
- Cut up the bread into roughly equal pieces, about 1 inch each.
- Put the butter in a 9 inch round cake pan. Place it in a cold oven and preheat the oven to 400 F. Watch the butter; when it melts, take out the pan.
- In the pan, mix 1/2 cup brown sugar into the butter and pat it evenly over the pan bottom. Set aside. Core and slice the apple into 8 equal pieces, then cut each piece one more time to make 16 slices. Arrange the slices like flower petals on top of the butter/sugar mixture in the pan.
To fill in the gap in the middle, cut a few triangular apple pieces and arrange in the middle.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the granulated sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Add the milk and stir to combine. Beat in the eggs. Drop in the bread pieces and massage with your hands to break them up some more and get them to absorb the most liquid.
- Scoop the bread and custard mixture into the cake pan and pat it down evenly on top of the apples and butter/sugar mixture. Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, reduce the heat to 300 F and continue baking for about 30 minutes, or until the temperature in the middle of the bread pudding reaches 175 F. Remove from the oven and let cool for 30 minutes.
- Run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the pudding, then top the pan with a platter and invert. The bread pudding should drop neatly onto the platter. Continue cooling for another 30 minutes. Serve slightly warm, or place in the refrigerator and chill completely.
And don’t forget to grab the Ibotta app for coupons to save on Cottonelle, Scott, Viva, and Kleenex products! I love these Kleenex® Perfect Fit Holiday Canisters, which come in great holiday patterns to accentuate your decorations.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.