This strawberry breakfast cake post is sponsored by the Florida Strawberry Growers Association in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.
Strawberry Breakfast Cake
I love summer.
Even here in Florida, where the thermometer hits 90 F and up, I love it. So when winter rolls around and my toes start to feel chilled on the tiled kitchen floor, I want to think about the return of hot weather.
That’s why I feel lucky that Florida Strawberry and Sunday Supper are helping me enjoy a little taste of summer all winter long. These plump and sweet Florida strawberries are available from December to April! Did you know it takes just 8 medium strawberries to meet your daily requirement for Vitamin C? With that kind of nutrition, there’s no excuse for not grabbing a handful of these winter beauties.
For today’s strawberry recipe, I’ve chosen to make a strawberry breakfast cake. “Cake, for breakfast?” I hear you say. Fear not! This wholesome cake is full of nutrition and pure goodness. It’s sweet, but not too sweet, and is made with 100% whole wheat flour and half a pound of fresh from Florida strawberries. Plus, it’s topped off with a generous dollop of cream cheese spread, lightly sweetened and brightened up with just a touch of lemon.
Because of the strawberries, this cake is naturally colored deep mauve, making it a gorgeous way to start the day. Try it alongside a steaming cup of hot tea!
Fresh from Florida Strawberries make it easy to add flavor and nutrition to all the meals of the day. Check out the list of recipe ideas at the end of this post, and get even more strawberry recipes at Strawberry Sue.
Strawberry Breakfast Cake | #SundaySupper
For the Cake
- 8 ounces fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Pinch salt
- 11/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 heaping teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons of butter melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
For the Cream Cheese Spread
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
For the Cake
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Trace the base of a 9-inch round cake pan on parchment paper, then cut out the circle from the paper. Rub the inside of the pan with butter, then stick the circle to the bottom. Set the lined pan aside.
Wash the strawberries, pat dry, then trim off the tops. Place the strawberries in a food processor or blender and puree completely.
In a large mixing bowl, stir together the strawberry puree, sugars, and salt until well combined.
Add in the flour, baking powder, butter, and eggs, then stir together until just combined. Don't overmix. Pour the batter into the cake pan and smooth out the top until it is even.
Bake for about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Let the pan cool on a rack for 20 minutes, then run a knife around the end of the cake to loosen it and remove it from the pan to finish cooling.
For the Cream Cheese Spread
Beat the cream cheese with an electric mixer until softer and slightly fluffy. Add the powdered sugar and beat again. Add the lemon juice and beat until very soft and spreadable. Spread on the cake slices when served (or over the whole cake, if you're serving the whole cake at once). Garnish with additional strawberries if desired.
Join the fun by using #FLStrawberry in your Instagram strawberry photo and you could win a $100, $50, or $25 gift card! (This contest runs from 12/27/15 – 01/17/16, and the winner will be announced on 1/17/16.)
You can also follow Florida Strawberries and Strawberry Sue on their social channels.
- Florida Strawberry on Facebook
- Florida Strawberry on Twitter
- Florida Strawberry on Instagram
- Florida Strawberry on Pinterest
- Strawberry Sue on YouTube
- Strawberry Sue on Twitter
Strawberries for Starters
- Crispy Strawberry and Brie Bites by Ruffles & Truffles
- Strawberry Balsamic Chicken Flatbread by The Crumby Cupcake
- Strawberry Basil Goat Cheese Ball by Take A Bite Out of Boca
Strawberries for Breakfast
- Creamy Strawberry Chia Seed Avocado Smoothie by An Appealing Plan
- Fresh Strawberry Breakfast Parfait by The Freshman Cook
- Strawberry Balsamic Frittata by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Strawberry Bread by Desserts Required
- Strawberry Breakfast Cake by Recipe for Perfection
- Strawberry French Toast Kabobs by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Strawberry Guacamole & Bacon Toast by I’m Not the Nanny
Strawberries for Lunch
- Strawberry-Poppyseed Chicken Salad Sandwiches by Casa de Crews
- Venison Street Tacos by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Strawberry Brie Flatbread Salad by Family Foodie
- Strawberry Caprese Salad by Life Tastes Good
Strawberries for Dinner
- Balsamic Pork Salad with Strawberries and Goat Cheese by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Healthy One Pot Chicken Strawberry Paella by Food Done Light
- Pecan Chicken with Strawberry Chipotle Salsa by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Quinoa with Salmon and Strawberries by Cooking Chat
- Strawberry BBQ Meatballs by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Strawberry Risotto by Magnolia Days
Plus don’t miss Delicious Strawberry Ideas and Sweet Recipes by Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Yum! Cake for breakfast? Sign me up!
What a delicious breakfast cake! Strawberries and cream cheese are perfect together
Cindys Recipes and Writings
This looks so light and delicious!
Cake for breakfast? Count me in! Looks delicious!
Constance Smith | Cosmopolitan Cornbread
Cake for breakfast – for the win!!! Love it!
Krayl @ An Appealing Plan
Such a fresh take on a standard! Perfect for a neighborhood luncheon dessert!