This post is sponsored by The Beef Checkoff in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.
We’re once again around the family table with Sunday Supper this week, with a little assistance from the Beef Checkoff. I enjoy creating meals with beef (like this chili), and this week’s Beef Stifado is yet another example of a delicious meal that can be made with beef.
One of the wonderful things about fall is that the cooler weather encourages us to break out the slow cooking methods we may have shied away from in the heat of the summer. Crockpots, roasting pans, and Dutch ovens can get a real workout as the leaves change colors and finally drop to the ground.
Of course, here in Florida we have to settle for falling pine needles- but I can get just as enthusiastic about fall as those of you who live to the north!
The biggest advantage of low and slow cooking is that it’s often easy to combine meat with an assortment of vegetables and cook them all together. You get a balanced meal without having to make the slightest extra effort. It’s a real time and effort saver.
Personally, I like to make one pot meals whenever I can. A homey stew is just the thing for making a house smell like home. Beef Stifado is a type of Greek beef stew that’s rich with tomatoes, spices, and wine. Traditionally, it is served with orzo or Greek pasta. I’ve changed mine up just a bit to incorporate more vegetables while keeping all the rich flavor.
What are your favorite beef dishes?
Beef Stifado is a rich and savory beef stew made in Greece. Flavorful with tomatoes, wine, and spices, this aromatic stew will be an instant hit!
15 minPrep Time
3 hrCook Time
3 hr, 15 Total Time
- 3 ounces of shallots (about two or three large shallots)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 pounds of boneless chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- One 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 pound petite red potatoes
- Prepare the shallots for peeling by boiling for 3 minutes, then rinsing with cool water until they are cool enough to handle. Peel the shallots, but leave them whole.
- Chop the garlic.
- In a small cup, mix together the allspice, nutmeg, and oregano. Set the spice mix aside.
- Preheat a Dutch oven on the stove on medium heat. Add the olive oil. When the pot is hot, brown the roast on all sides, then set aside on a plate.
- Toss the shallots, the garlic, and the spice mix in the pot. Saute for 30 seconds until fragrant. Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, and red wine. Stir to combine, then drop in the bay leaves.
- Place the roast back in the pot. Drop in the potatoes. Add a little water so that the level of the liquid is just barely covering the meat and potatoes.
- Cover tightly with a lid and simmer for one hour. Remove the lid and continue simmering for 1.5 to 2 hours, or until the roast can be easily cut with a spoon. (If the level of liquid goes too low, add a bit of water. This is pretty unlikely, though.)
- When the beef stifado is done, if there are small puddles of oil on top of the liquid, you may gently spoon them out as desired. Serve with plenty of good bread to soak up the rich sauce!
Learn More About Beef
I love the beef cooking tips found on The Beef Checkoff website. There are plenty of recipes, videos, and articles to help you make beef part of a balanced meal. There’s also a lot of inspiration to be found on the Healthy Meals with Beef Pinterest board.
You can visit the Beef Checkoff on any of their social media channels, as well:
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BeefItsWhatsForDinner
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/Beef
- Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/beeffordinner/
More Great Recipes from Sunday Supper
Healthy Plates with Beef
- Beef and Green Beans over Orange Rice by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Beef Short Ribs with Polenta and Sautéed Greens by Whole Food | Real Families
- Beer Braised Beef Brisket by Life Tastes Good
- Beef Stifado by Recipe for Perfection
- Classic Pot Roast with Lemon and Rosemary by MealDiva
- Easy Stovetop Marsala Roast Beef by Family Foodie
- Filet Mignon with Cherry Sauce by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Garlic & Herb Prime Rib with Roasted Potatoes & Beets by Momma’s Meals
- Rosemary Garlic Brisket by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Sauerbraten by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Shank Cut Osso Buco by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Beef Black Bean Chili by Alida’s Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Caribbean Beef Stew by Food Done Light
- Slow Cooker Italian Beef Soup by Meal Planning Magic
- Slow Cooker Steak Fajitas by Daily Dish Recipes
- Spoon Roast with Mushrooms and Farro by Cooking Chat
- Szegediner Gulasch (German Sauerkraut Beef Goulash) by Magnolia Days
- Thai Red Curry with Beef and Butternut Squash by kimchi MOM
- Vietnamese Style Beef Stew by I’m Not the Nanny
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.