Do you like to make snacks for watching the big basketball game? I’ve decided to share with you one of my favorite recipes for making basketball season- or any fun occasion- more tasty and more memorable. It’s a delicious combination of cheddar cheese, beer, beef, and bacon, all swirled together in a warm and delicious dip. I originally got the idea from a Williams-Sonoma recipe for plain beer cheese dip, but the addition of beef and bacon takes it to a completely new level. Even if you’ve never made a warm cheese dip from scratch, you’ll find this bacon cheeseburger dip to be a snap.
Basketball Inspires this Bacon Cheeseburger Dip
When I was a kid, I was lucky enough to live right across the street from the local community college. Not only that, but the head coach of the basketball team lived right next door to us!
Since my stepfather also worked at the college, my family attended almost every single home game to cheer on the basketball team. There was nothing quite like those games. The cheering crowds, the sound of the buzzer, and the scent of the melted cheese at the concessions stand combined to make it both exciting and memorable.
I remember counting out my pocket money before the game and making a plan as to which snacks I would purchase. It just wouldn’t have been the same without some special treat to enjoy during the game.
Even as a grown-up, I still feel the same way! There’s still nothing like the excitement that comes with a basketball game, and tasty snacks just make the experience even better- whether you’re enjoying the game in person or watching it from the comfort of your own home. Make a batch of this bacon cheeseburger dip and cheer on your team with snacks in hand!
Bacon Cheeseburger Dip
You'll love this bacon cheeseburger dip! Made with freshly shredded cheddar, beef, crumbled bacon, and tasty beer, it's fantastically delicious.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup beer
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 12 ounces sharp cheddar cheese grated
- 1 cup cooked ground beef crumbles
- 1/4 cup cooked bacon crumbles
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the milk and beer a little at a time. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer.
- Add the mustard and Worcestershire and cook, whisking occasionally, until the mixture begins to thicken (about 3 to 5 minutes).
- One handful at a time, add the cheese, whisking until each handful has completely melted before adding more.
Taste, then season with salt and pepper as necessary.
- Stir in the cooked ground beef and bacon crumbles, and serve immediately.