These pizza bagels are the perfect appetizer or party snack! Made with fresh bagels, buffalo mozzarella, and tomato sauce, they’re sure to please.
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.
Pizza Bagels for National Pizza Month
Whoever thought of creating National Pizza Month is clearly a genius. When I first heard that there was a special holiday for pizza, I thought to myself, “One day just isn’t enough.” And I was right. You really do need a whole month to celebrate the many different incarnations of pizza.
I must admit that over the years I’ve had quite a weakness for those little frozen bagel pizzas. However, like most things that come frozen, I’ve always thought that I could improve on it if only I tried. Hence the inspiration for this pizza bagels recipe.
Bagel pizzas are great as an appetizer and make a fantastic party snack. You can even make a party activity out of assembling the little pizzas, if you don’t mind throwing a little cheese around.
We’re lucky that Gallo Family Vineyards is celebrating National Pizza Month alongside the Sunday Supper Movement this week. That means that I get to pair up some Gallo wines with my gourmet bagel pizzas.
I got to try the Gallo Riesling and the Gallo Cabernet Sauvignon for this celebration. The Riesling is an excellent all-around wine that is versatile enough to pair with everything from grilled meats to savory pasta. Its sweet and refreshing notes of honeysuckle, peach, and citrus go well with an appetizer bite like these bagel pizzas. If you decide to add some assertively flavored toppings, such as sausage or steak, then Cabernet Sauvignon would be a good pick. This wine balances notes of blackberry and black currant with a hint of oak for a full-bodied taste that can stand up to robust flavors.
Tips for Making Pizza Bagels
- Find a local bagel shop that makes their bagels fresh. Grocery store bagels are fine in a pinch, but for great bread texture, freshly made bagels can’t be beat.
- Pick a thick pizza sauce, not a watery one.
- Choose a good quality mozzarella and chop or shred it yourself. Sure, you can pick up a bag of pre-shredded mozzarella, but I guarantee that you’ll thank me later if you go with a higher quality cheese.
- Preheat your oven with a pizza stone inside if you have one. Nothing produces that crisp outer crust as well as a pizza stone.
- If you wish to garnish with fresh or dried herbs, do so after you bake the pizza bagels- not before! If you bake the herbs in the oven, the heat will cause much of their flavor to disappear.
Which Gallo Family Vineyards wine would you pair with your pizza?
Oven Baked Pizza Bagels
- 4 bagels sliced in half
- 1 1/4 cups pizza sauce
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese shredded or chopped into small pieces
- Fresh basil to garnish (optional)
Place the bagel halves on a cookie sheet. Top each half with about 2 tablespoons of pizza sauce. It should be generous, not thin. Top with cheese, leaving a little sauce showing.
Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until cheese is completely melted. If you bake til the longer end of the cooking time, the cheese will brown, but may be a bit drier.
Remove from oven, let cool slightly, then serve immediately.
- Apple Pie Pizza by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Pizza by Desserts Required
- Peach Maple Mascarpone Dessert Pizza by Whole Food | Real Families
- Apricot Chicken Brie Flatbread Pizza by Feed Me, Seymour
- Autumn Sausage & Sweet Potato Pizza by The Crumby Cupcake
- Balsamic Steak and Arugula Pizza by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Chicken Parmesan Pizza by Life Tastes Good
- Chorizo and Roasted Pepper Pizza with Arugula by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Flammkuchen by Curious Cuisiniere
- Grilled Fig + Prosciutto Pizza by An Appealing Plan
- Jalapeño Popper White Pizza by Food Done Light
- Meat Lover’s Skillet Pizza by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Pasta Pizza Pie by Alida’s Kitchen
- Pizza Bagels by Recipe for Perfection
- Portuguese Flatbread Pizza by Family Foodie
- Roasted Butternut Squash, Prosciutto and Goat Cheese Pesto Pizza by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Roasted Corn Pizza by Brunch with Joy
- Sauerkraut and Meatball Pizza by Palatable Pastime
- Sausage and Ricotta Naan Pizza by Casa de Crews
- Thai Chicken Pizza by The Redhead Baker
Also Featured: Simple Tips for Wine Cheese Pairings plus Pizza Recipes #SundaySupper with Gallo Family Vineyards.
Need more ideas for celebrating National Pizza Month? Check out Gallo Family Vineyards’ blog.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.